Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Taroko Gorge



Hi Marshall,
I just returned from an exciting trip to Taroko Gorge. This is a very famous place in Taiwan because it has HUGE steep rock walls with incredible waterfalls and great views. It is an amazing place and I'm very glad I visited it.
While we were there, a typhoon hit the island. A typhoon is a really big storm that brings a lot of wind and rain. This was a pretty small typhoon, but there were quite a few landslides and lots of rain! I actually saw a landslide. Here they call it a "Rockfall" and there are "Danger--Rockfall" signs everywhere.
My friend and I had rented scooters, so you can imagine that we got very wet when we were driving. You won't believe me, but I crossed a suspension bridge ON MY SCOOTER! Since it seems unbelievable, my friend videotaped it. I will send that to you.
We also went on a really long hike that really made my knees sore. It was much steeper than our hikes in Brown County, but I can't say that it was more beautiful. Both places are VERY beautiful. I prefer Brown County because I was there with my nephews, who are awesome. Yes, I'm talking about YOU, silly. You and Stewart and Nigel. : )
I had a very good time.
I miss you!
Love,
Uncle Mut

No comments: